⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I’ve taken a deep dive into horror films for the majority of my life. What started with Godzilla and the Universal monsters mutated into slasher flicks and excessive gore. Those tastes would eventually change to the trashful innocence of backyard filmmaking and baffling world cinema but somewhere in the gestation period of where my tastes would eventually plateau, I fell in love with The Beyond. A deep, unequivocal love. So much so that if someone I’m discussing horror with mentions that they are not a fan, I simply let them know I don’t need to speak further on the genre that I love with them because I don’t think they would understand “horror” if it dragged itself from under their bed and bit them on their ass. Fulci along with Dardano Sacchetti and Giorgio Mariuzzo managed to tap into a vein of such uncanny terror and dread that they somehow unleashed a glimpse of a nightmare-crafted reality into our plane of existence. So much so that the inexplicable idea of the ridiculous events like hissing rubber spiders, heads exploding, faces melting and alien character motivations fit perfectly fine into the narrative if you’re willing to go along with it. It’s gross, sometimes cheap and awkward enough to take anyone out of it but if you fall into that category, you’re missing the whole damn point of it. This is our world corrupted by the unknown and I don’t think anyone has done it better. The lovely Catriona MacColl inherits a Louisiana hotel which, unfortunately for her and everyone drawn into her orbit, is built upon one of the seven entrances to Hell. Unfortunate ends come to a lot of folks who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and our hero teams up with a local doctor (the irreplaceable David Warbeck) to unravel the unthinkable and hopefully pull their asses out of the literal hellfire. They fail. The dead walk, eyeballs are abused, Al Cliver pops in, a blind medium holds some answers and common sense proves to be a fruitless place to look for any answer. Flawed and perfect for being flawed… that makes no sense but it’s The Beyond and it’s not supposed to.


No comments:
Post a Comment