Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro (1985) (UK/Kenya)

aka S.O.S. Kilimanjaro 

⭐️⭐️⭐️


Hard to believe I’ve never watched this film until the year of our lord 2022. In my early days of video renting the cover to this flick had me terrified of baboons and avoiding their enclosure at my local zoo… it was BASED ON A TRUE STORY after all. Sure I was just a wee lad when the nightmare image of killer monkeys embedded itself in my brain but ya gotta figure in the decades since that fateful trip to Palmer Video, I would have finally given this one a go. I even bought the tape that caused some restless nights when the shop closed down years later but never threw it on. A severe drought in Kenya causes the baboon population to go homicidal and start murdering poor saps in the area. An American environmentalist/animal-expert, Jack Ringtree (Timothy Bottoms), teams up with the boss of a mining operation (John Rhys-Davies) and attempt to save a small town being terrorized by the killer primates. Bottoms attempts to get the town evacuated but runs into red tape and Davies’ idea to slaughter some males just pisses off the thousands of already pissed-off and hungry primates. Some well-orchestrated baboon attacks (sure the monkey puppets are a little silly but I ain’t complaining) and a capable cast add more prestige to the thing than I was expecting. Rhys-Davies brings a bunch of gravitas because of course he does and Bottoms rocks one hell of a powerful mustache. There’s some relationship dramatics that drags things down but it ain’t too distracting.




No comments:

Post a Comment