Search This Blog

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Man Beast (1956) (USA)

⭐️⭐️1/2


Connie Hayward is a woman on a mission. That mission is finding her brother who has gone missing in the Himalayas whilst searching for the elusive Abominable Snowman. Been there, Connie. Been there. Connie mounts an expedition to find the missing sibling (much like I would have done if I had the cash or the body to get some folks to help me)… even if it is just two other fucking people. They manage to catch up to Dr. Erickson (the missing brother’s research partner) and head on to the brother’s camp. They find the camp in disarray and a hired guide named Varga, claiming he has no idea where Connie’s brother has disappeared to. They carry on, hoping to find the man but unfortunately the albino ape-man finds them first. Of course, by this point in our film-watching career we know that the most dangerous of all animals is man. Varga, I’m looking in your suspicious-ass direction. The hills of California stand in for the Himalayas and the lack of snow is made up for by the actors blowing into their hands and rubbing their shoulders like it’s not a pleasant 70 degrees outside. The Yeti suit has definitely popped up in a few other budget flicks from the 40’s (looking at you The White Gorilla and White Pongo) that used to show up on late night broadcasting, so I’m feeling right at home. I don’t know why this era of monster movies felt the most important aspect of monster movies was not showing the monster, but it’s not rare for films like this to keep their beast off stage for a majority of the runtime. We’re used to it but we don’t have to like it. Dr. Erickson looks like Walter White and everyone else looks like boring people that worked at a brewery who you only recognize because their black and white group photo adorns a wood-paneled wall in an office that hasn’t been remodeled since 1983. There’s so much lack of monster it’s criminal and replacing monster action with talking is never a good move but I love that white gorilla costume and the villain’s plan is ridiculously wonderful… so I’ll call it a wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment