If A Ghost Story for Christmas taught me anything, it’s that remote country homes (of any size) are just not safe if one wishes to avoid supernatural harm in their short time on this rock. Lost Hearts is the outing that I was least familiar with, barely even registering with me from the program and if I have read the M.R. James story (odds are I have as I believe the volumes of his work I own would make it impossible that I’ve missed it) it did not stick with me. So, this is probably the only one of the original cycle I was going in blind on. It concerns an orphan who goes to live with his much older and eccentric cousin at the man’s isolated country manor. He’s an energetic old chap who has a penchant for collecting orphans. Said orphans stay on for a bit and then vanish unexpectedly, never to be seen again. Unsettling encounters and terrible dreams involving a pair of ghostly children missing their hearts plague the newly arrived Stephen and it may have something to do with his elderly cousin’s obsession with immortality. Is it a warning from beyond the grave, the stress of the young man’s situation (not bloody likely) or something even more malicious? Another solid nightmare featuring some eerie images and strong performances. Looks like I’m going to have to pull out my James’ collections and read this one again.
Search This Blog
Saturday, June 13, 2026
Lost Hearts (1973) (UK)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
If A Ghost Story for Christmas taught me anything, it’s that remote country homes (of any size) are just not safe if one wishes to avoid supernatural harm in their short time on this rock. Lost Hearts is the outing that I was least familiar with, barely even registering with me from the program and if I have read the M.R. James story (odds are I have as I believe the volumes of his work I own would make it impossible that I’ve missed it) it did not stick with me. So, this is probably the only one of the original cycle I was going in blind on. It concerns an orphan who goes to live with his much older and eccentric cousin at the man’s isolated country manor. He’s an energetic old chap who has a penchant for collecting orphans. Said orphans stay on for a bit and then vanish unexpectedly, never to be seen again. Unsettling encounters and terrible dreams involving a pair of ghostly children missing their hearts plague the newly arrived Stephen and it may have something to do with his elderly cousin’s obsession with immortality. Is it a warning from beyond the grave, the stress of the young man’s situation (not bloody likely) or something even more malicious? Another solid nightmare featuring some eerie images and strong performances. Looks like I’m going to have to pull out my James’ collections and read this one again.
If A Ghost Story for Christmas taught me anything, it’s that remote country homes (of any size) are just not safe if one wishes to avoid supernatural harm in their short time on this rock. Lost Hearts is the outing that I was least familiar with, barely even registering with me from the program and if I have read the M.R. James story (odds are I have as I believe the volumes of his work I own would make it impossible that I’ve missed it) it did not stick with me. So, this is probably the only one of the original cycle I was going in blind on. It concerns an orphan who goes to live with his much older and eccentric cousin at the man’s isolated country manor. He’s an energetic old chap who has a penchant for collecting orphans. Said orphans stay on for a bit and then vanish unexpectedly, never to be seen again. Unsettling encounters and terrible dreams involving a pair of ghostly children missing their hearts plague the newly arrived Stephen and it may have something to do with his elderly cousin’s obsession with immortality. Is it a warning from beyond the grave, the stress of the young man’s situation (not bloody likely) or something even more malicious? Another solid nightmare featuring some eerie images and strong performances. Looks like I’m going to have to pull out my James’ collections and read this one again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment